When I went to the shop they had mangoes reduced from £2 to 40p each. I love mango and at this point got carried away buying three instead of just one. So here is what I decided to do with my mango’s:
1) I decided to have a go at making Aamras suggested by : http://karma-free-cooking.com/2010/06/29/incredible-india-all-over-again-%E2%80%93-sweets/ I got the recipe from http://www.spiceupthecurry.com/aamras-recipe-aamras-puripoori/.
Aamras is very easy to make you blend a mango, add the flavouring of your choice, mix together then chill in the fridge before eating with puri or rice. I am going to be trying mine with cinnamon and rice.
I found a recipe for puri here with pictures for anyone who wants to try making their own puri: http://www.rakskitchen.net/2012/06/puri-recipe-poori-recipe-breakfast.html
2) Next I had a go at Mango curd suggested by http://www.seriouseats.com/user/profile/Saria recipe taken from http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/06/project-wedding-cake-mango-curd/. You add the fruit of one mango, 1/3 of a cup of sugar, 3 tbsp citrus juice and a pinch of salt to the food processor. Blend. Add 4 egg yolks ( I use the whites to make omelette). Blend again for about 15 seconds. Pour contents into a metal bowl. Place metal bowl above a saucepan of boiling water (not touching the water). Stir until mix starts to thicken. Take bowl off heat and mix in ¼ cup of butter. Then place in the fridge overnight. Once set it is ready to top toast or bind cakes.
You can find a video of my attempt here http://youtu.be/bjqdEzKnZ6E
3) Finally I made Chicken and mango curry. I used my final mango and 3 chicken breasts. Both sliced. I cooked 1 sliced onion and my chicken in a wok then added the mango and a tin of tomatoes. I added a tiny bit of coconut some chilli, cardamom and a teaspoon of curry powder. Stirred everything together and cooked on a low heat whilst I made rice. Once the rice was cooked I served the curry and enjoyed. I hope you enjoy too.
- Aamras Recipe (cravecookclick.com)
- Mango Peach Chicken (arunningdaydream.wordpress.com)
- Vegetarian mango salad (mobitesfood.com)
- Simple Supper Friday: Mango Chicken Curry (paleoinpdx.com)