Last post I outlined the basics of Kombucha. This time I am going to investigate how to flavour the finished product.
Here is a video outlining the basics of how to start your own culture:
Once you have made your own Kombucha and got the hang of making plain batches you might want to have a go at flavouring.
Flavouring is done after the first fermentation. Once you have a batch of plain Kombucha you are happy with you can decant some of it into a separate Glass container (don’t forget to set aside some of your kombucha mix to start your next plain batch) and then begin to experiment by adding the flavours of your choice. Bear in mind that Kombucha is a living substance so do not use chemicals to flavour it. Instead why not try adding fruit or fruit juice.
Once you have added the ingredients you are using to flavour the Kombucha then you have to re-cover it (still allowing it to breath) and leave it to re-ferment in a warmish (room temperature) place out of direct sunlight. After 5 to 14 days it will be ready to drink depending on your personal taste. Don’t forget to leave a comment on your own mixtures as it is always nice to find new flavours.
There is a fantastic video available on how to flavour Kombucha available here:
- Homemade gift kombucha starter (frogandcount.wordpress.com)
- Kombucha Tea (kellyfoodparadise.wordpress.com)
- Concord Kombucha (ideasinfood.com)
- Purely Love: Fermented Foods (purelyelizabeth.wordpress.com)
- Make Your Own Kombucha!! (kissthecookontv.wordpress.com)
- Kombucha…What is it? (victoryusfitness.wordpress.com)