Save the Date – DIY date cards
The first step of planning a wedding after booking your venue, the one that informs people of your intentions, is save the date cards.
Save the dates are sent out ASAP asking people to keep the date open in advance. They are available in several different card designs as well as more unique items. Regardless of if you make your own or buy them, go for something basic or extravagant their main purpose is to provide basic information.
We did research on wedding save the dates and decided as we would later be sending out invites we didn’t want to also send out cards for save the date. Instead we decided we wanted something a bit more unique which wouldn’t end up in the back of a draw and forgotten about.
There are plenty of ideas out there but the two we liked most were save the date bags and magnets.
Magnets can be ordered from vista print with several different designs.
we particularly liked the silhouett wedding designs which can be found here:
However we were unsure of the quality of the magnets and decided we would prefer something homemade and therefore more personal.
We decided that we would make save the date bags.
To do this we bought bags from the clever bagger and persuaded my other half that I knew what I was doing when it comes to fabric transfer.
Turns out it is not as easy as I remember.
I tried a few different methods including using baking paper but eventually admitted defeat and decided to buy fabric transfer paper.
I scoured ebay and managed to purchase 20 sheets for under £5.
This didn’t go as well as planned either. After spending several hours creating a design which could be printed onto the bags and finally figuring out how to flip it so the image was mirrored not only would the design not smoothly transfer but the printer also ran out of ink.
Of course I ordered more ink and had attempt no 2.
This time I created a much smaller motif and again followed the iron on instructions.
The first attempt succeeded and I was elated
I gave my first save the date bag to a friend from out of town who was visiting for the day.
Then I decided to make a few more.
Ironing the patterns takes a few minutes each so I decided to just make four and see how they turned out.
Two turned out fine the other two had the same problem as my original design. The fabric paper would not smoothly come away from the bag without taking the design with it.
Now I have two finished bags and two I am unsure what to do with. However I hope to sort it out next week and will update you on my progress or lack thereof once I have had a chance to play around.
- Not Your Typical Save The Date (ritani.com)