This week I was invited to have dinner by a friend from my chapel who lives a few villages over. Me and another friend had agreed to walk down and visit before the end of the academic year. I volunteered to bring the dessert if she brought the wine. Being me I didn’t want to bring a shop bought cake so decided to make my own. However my attempt at making a pineapple sponge ended very badly. Although I followed the recipe, I forgot baking powder gets stronger with age and added an extra pinch, the cake tasted very bitter.
At this point I had finished the last of my flour but still needed to make something for the promised dessert as I would be walking across the next day.
I Googled flour free desserts and found this recipe at :
It was a recipe for cake made from risotto rice, milk and lemon peel. It came with the suggestion to serve it with a red fruit salad. I didn’t dust the top with icing sugar as suggested but the cake was well received.
Serves : 8
- 600 ml (1 pint) semi-skimmed milk
- a strip of lemon zest
- 150 g (5½ oz) risotto rice
- 100 g (3½ oz) pine nuts
- 100 g (3½ oz) blanched almonds
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 85 g (3 oz) caster sugar
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- sifted icing sugar to decorate
- Red fruit salad
- 300 g (10½ oz) strawberries I used strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.
- 125 g (4½ oz) raspberries
- 200 g (7 oz) cherries, stoned
Prep:1hr15min › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hr55min
- Heat the milk with the strip of lemon zest in a heavy-based saucepan until boiling. Stir in the rice, then turn down the heat so the milk barely simmers. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 40 minutes or until the rice is very soft and the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Spoon the rice mixture into a large bowl and leave to cool. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF, gas mark 4). Grease a 21 cm (8 1/2 in) springform cake tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- Spread the pine nuts and almonds in separate baking tins and toast in the oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Roughly chop the almonds.
- Remove the strip of lemon zest from the rice. Using a wooden spoon, beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Beat in the caster sugar, grated lemon zest and rum, then add the nuts.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold them into the rice mixture using a large metal spoon. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin, then wrap (still in the tin) and chill overnight. (It can be kept in the fridge for 48 hours, if necessary.)
- To make the red fruit salad, purée 100 g (3 1/2 oz) of the strawberries in a food processor or blender. or by pushing them through a sieve. Halve the remaining strawberries and stir into the purée together with the raspberries and cherries. Spoon into a serving bowl.
- Unmould the cake onto a serving plate and peel off the lining paper. Dust the cake with icing sugar, and serve with the fruit salad.
To make a chocolate rice cake, cook the rice with the strip of lemon zest as in the main recipe, then remove from the heat and discard the lemon zest. While the rice mixture is still hot, stir in 55 g (2 oz) grated good dark chocolate (with at least 70% cocoa solids) until melted, then leave to cool. Instead of the grated lemon zest, add 2 tbsp cold strong espresso coffee with the rum.
Pine nuts have been eaten for hundreds of years – husks have been found in the rubbish tips from Roman camps in Britain. Pine nuts contain useful amounts of iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium and vitamin E. * Cherries are rich in potassium, and provide useful amounts of vitamin C.
1¼ hours, plus chilling overnight
Some other flour free dessert recipes
http://nymag.com/restaurants/recipes/inseason/45991/ – recipe for flourless chocolate walnut cookies
http://www.chefeddy.com/2010/08/flour-free-chocolate-cake/ – recipe for flour free chocolate layer cake
- Cookie Monster: Lemon Pine Nut Biscotti (sweets.seriouseats.com)
- Vegan lemon cake biscuits (heavenlyveganbaking.wordpress.com)
- Lemon Cake with Blueberry Filling and Lemon Buttercream (eatbakebattement.wordpress.com)